Tuesday, March 26, 2013

After The Ball




Synergy 3 is over.  The Ball is over. There were ups and downs at the ball.   I gave you a hint at the last post of what my my most recent cane was.  Did anyone guess Cinderella?  This was a doozy of a cane to build.  I'd say that there was at least 15 different canes that were made, reduced and then incorporated into the final cane.  I really wanted to get this cane finished prior to Synergy.  Unfortunately I didn't have much time to come up with some necklaces so I could have something to sell in the gallery.  I came up with this design.




 I created one for each of my fairy tale themed canes.  They included my little sayings for each.  Cinderella's says "As she sat lone in the ashes, the ball seemed a fading memory".  For Little Red Riding Hood "As you're pretty so be wise; wolves may lurk in every guise".  "She looked into the beast's eyes and saw the beauty in his soul" goes with Beauty and the Beast.  I had time enough to finish four necklaces.  One of each with the sayings and one without that I donated to the auction.  I liked the way they came out but I guess I was the only one.  Or else I was delusional with my price point.  I felt like I was participating in  Project Runway and Heidi was questioning my taste level.  Of course when you are competing with sales with Kathleen Dustin and others I shouldn't have placed my hopes so high.  Oh well it was a reality check but then I had another possible disappointment. I had placed my auction piece to be included in the live auction.  By Friday I was getting into panic mode because I was afraid no one would bid on my piece.  Fortunately Tracy was a great auctioneer and some friends came thru and my piece sold at auction for close to $300.  Thank you to those who bid.  Again I take my hat off to those who sell their artwork.  Putting your heart into something and then feeling rejected can be tough.  This was the down part of the ball.  In the next post I will talk about the ups.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Julie... this is by far my favorite of your canes. I absolutely LOVE everything Cinderella, but most of all, the older, non-Disney versions. This is just lovely. I collect very special Cinderella pieces and, if you will be selling any of this cane, would love to purchase a slice. I'm a big fan of your work and thought I'd tell you what an inspiration you are to me as a polymer artist. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that is incredible... I can't believe it's a polymer clay cane. Well I can, you said it was and I don't disbelieve you but... wow, that's just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't know how you make these canes - I mean, I get how you make them, but they are just so amazing! Blow my mind! Brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make some brilliant canes,... so detailed and complex... just Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are absolutely gorgeous! They are beautifully designed and detailed. What an inspiration! The necklaces are relatively simple to contrast with the intricate details of the pendants....perfect.

    ReplyDelete